Application Guidelines and Information
The Sonia Plotnick Health Fund (SPHF) will consider a woman’s request for financial assistance if she does not have the financial resources to meet her healthcare needs and meets the minimum criteria listed below. SPHF has a special interest in serving lesbian women. Having health insurance does not disqualify a person from receiving assistance.
- The applicant must be a woman and a permanent resident of Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, or Sarasota County.
- The date of service for the unpaid medical bills for which you are requesting financial assistance cannot be more than 180 days in the past, or will be completed within 90 days from the date of approval, or a combination of the two.
- The applicant must be 18 years or older.
Other guidelines and information about the application process:
What type of bills will SPHF consider in an application?
- Applications for funding must be for unpaid and non-covered (by insurance or other assistance) health services including traditional and alternative care, mental health care, and preventive dental services. Medically necessary dental care, under some circumstances, may be considered for funding.
- We are unable to cover reparative or cosmetic dental work. Please visit our dental assistance page for possible helpful referrals.
- The date of service for PAST healthcare related bills for which you are requesting financial assistance must be no more than 180 days from your date of application for assistance. You can find the date of service on your bill or ask your provider.
- The date of service for PLANNED or FUTURE healthcare related services for which you are requesting financial assistance must be no more than 90 days from the date of approval of funds.
What type of information makes up a complete application the SPHF Board can review?
- You will be asked to provide basic demographic, financial, and other information on the application, as determined by the Board. This information will be used in the application review. SPHF will also ask for other common demographic and financial information that will be used only to ensure SPHF is meeting its mission, help SPHF make future decisions about its operations or meet grant and funding requirements. SPHF will take reasonable measures to maintain the security of your information. No individual information will be reported; we will aggregate or combine the information and use the overall findings.
- Official bills (for past services) or written estimates (for future services) from the provider(s) must accompany the application.
When should you apply?
- You should seek financial assistance directly through your provider and other government or charity assistance sources first. SPHF should be the last resort for financial assistance. The Fund administrator may assist you in identifying other ‘first-line’ assistance. When appropriate, SPHF may offer you a benefits review by a knowledgeable SPHF Board Director or Volunteer.
- As long as you qualify, you may apply twice per calendar year (Jan – Dec). Multiple requests for assistance related to the same health service or procedure will be treated as individual applications. You are encouraged to include all requested assistance for one health event in one application.
How can you apply?
- You must complete the online application form or submit a written/typed request for assistance using the Word application form. This form is available on the website or by requesting a mailed copy from the SPHF Fund Administrator.
- Official bills (for past services) or written estimates (for future services) from the provider(s) must accompany the application, or be submitted soon after.
What is the approval process?
- A Fund Administrator will contact you to review your application and work with you on preparing it for SPHF Board review.
- The SPHF Board will evaluate requests for assistance monthly during each regularly scheduled meeting.
- The amount requested may be approved in full, in part, or denied based on available funds. The Board will award assistance based on SPHF available monies, with a maximum of $1,000 per application, less if available monies do not permit. The average award in the past year was $550.
- The Fund Administrator will notify you of the Board’s decision.
- For approved applications, awarded funds will be paid directly to the provider. SPHF will not reimburse you directly. Funds for future services must be utilized within 90 days of the approval date.
- SPHF will request a receipt for payments made to each provider. If received, SPHF will provide a copy to you for your records.
How else can I learn about SPHF or other health related topics?
- Applicants will be added to the SPHF mailing list via email and/or postal mail to ensure they are informed about health related and SPHF events. An opt-out option will be available.
- SPHF will make available information regarding programs that provide free or reduced fees for health screening/care whenever possible.
Contact the Fund Administrator at email@example.com or at 727.482.0216 for additional information. Or if you meet the criteria above apply here after you have thoroughly reviewed the above guidelines.
Disclaimer: Any information provided by the Sonia Plotnick Health Fund should in no way be considered medical advice nor does it replace consultation with a healthcare provider.